If you want to put a skip on a public road you should contact your local council for a skip licence. In many areas, skip hire companies may apply for skip licences, often called skip permits, on your behalf. However, in some areas you will need to apply for one yourself.

You are required to have an appropriate licence for skips, hippobags and other skip bags. You also need to be aware that the content of your skip is also your responsibility.

Further reading: Important information about waste disposal

You are not permitted to place a skip on a pavement, or to place it where it may cause an obstruction or may endanger persons of property. However, you do not require a skip licence if you’re putting the skip entirely on private land.

You may be required to put safety lights and markings on or around the skip. Such as reflective markings, traffic cones, night-time safety lamps, you may also require a skip to bear the name and telephone number of the skip hire company.

Contact your local council to find exact rules for lights and markings in your area. Make sure you understand your requirements, as if you don’t put up the required safety lights and markings, you could be fined up to £1,000.